Nudge to reduce cost and ensure usability
Client: Velux Window Manufacturer
Purpose and targets
A vast majority of customer support inquiries and complaints came from our client’s customers – professional carpenters – when installing one of their products and caused mass product returns.
The company was convinced that their customers did not read the product manual properly in the process of installing the product and decided to communicate the product installment instructions through digital channels and developed a set of instructional YouTube videos to make the information more intuitive for the end-users. However, this solution to the problem did not seem to create any positive changes.
For an international window manufacturer, we developed a three-part solution to solve the challenges when installing their products. We changed the manual to be visually based, created a color matching system to match the different screws with their corresponding holes, and the packaging, so that the order of unpacking corresponded with the natural order of the installment process. The amount of correctly installed products increased significantly.
We developed a three-part solution to solve the challenges.
First, we changed the manual from being entirely text-based to primarily visually based, so the information was more intuitive and quick to digest. Secondly, we created a color matching system that made it much easier to match the different screws with their corresponding holes. Lastly, we changed the way the product was packaged, so that the order of unpacking corresponded with the natural order of the installment process.
We conducted a behavioral map of the situation to identify what was keeping the carpenters from interacting successfully with the company’s product by observing them in their natural environment.
Our research led to three main insights. The first insight was that professionals did not want to “waste” time reading a text-heavy manual on how to mount the product correctly. The second insight involved the product itself – it had many different components and lacked an intuitive explanation of which components went where.
The final insight related to the order of unpacking the product, which was not conducive to the process of assembling it.
By introducing our three changes to the installation process, we were able to take the amount of correctly installed products from 43% to 96%.